Pregnancy & Pediatric Chiropractic
From the moment of conception and during the 40 weeks of pregnancy, your body goes through a series of remarkable changes. It is easy for all of us to see postural changes through pregnancy – the center of gravity changes as the weight of the baby places increased pressure on the spine especially in the low back, hips, and pelvis. What we cannot see, are the millions of different hormonal changes and chemical reactions occurring both in the mother and the developing baby – all of which are controlled and coordinated through the nervous system. Now more than ever, you need a healthy spine and a nervous system that responds immediately and accurately to changing requirements in all parts of your body; that’s what chiropractic does best! Symptoms of pregnancy change with each trimester and chiropractic care is safe during pregnancy when provided by a chiropractor that has been trained to work with pregnant women.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care Before Pregnancy
- A more regular menstrual cycle and optimal uterine function.
- Prepares the body to be strong, supple, and balanced as possible to carry the pregnancy.
- Restoring proper nerve supply to reproductive organs has helped many couples who thought they were infertile.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
According to recent studies, Chiropractic care may result in easier pregnancy including increased comfort during the third trimester and delivery, and reduced need for pain medications. Other benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include…
- A more comfortable pregnancy and delivery.
- A 50% reduced need for analgesics (pain medication).
- A 24% – 39% faster than average labor time.
- 84% of women report relief of back pain during pregnancy.
- Significantly less likelihood of back labor (contractions and sharp pain felt in the lower back during labor).
- Significantly reduced utilization of epidurals, forceps, vacuum extraction, episiotomies, and Cesarean sections.
- Reduced likelihood of postpartum depression.
Dr. Sage’s repertoire of skills includes manual therapies such as Active Release, Graston, and ChiroSage (a unique blend of chiropractic and therapeutic soft tissue massage technique). These skills help to address tension in the muscular and fascia systems. It makes sense because the muscles are attached to bones and when the vertebrae misaligns, the muscles adapt to the stresses placed upon them. Dr. Sage not only adjusts the vertebrae, but releases the muscular stress and teaches her patients exercise techniques necessary to stabilize their bodies to protect them from further injury.
Dr. Sage provided Active Release therapy for triathletes in the Kona 2009 Hawaiian Ironman and through her volunteer work, became inspired to start training again for triathlon. May 2010 she accomplished her goal of finishing the Wildflower long course triathlon which included 70.3 miles of swim, bike, and run.
Dr. Sage is a licensed acupuncturist and her study of health includes the ancient art of acupuncture and herbology. When she’s not helping her patients she is enjoying her family and two daughters, Ginger and Kira.
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine Licensed Acupuncturist 201
- A.A. San Francisco City College
- B.A. San Francisco State University ~ Kinesiology
- C.M.T. San Francisco School of Massage
- D.C. Life Chiropractic College West
- L.Ac. Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
- Certificate in Chiropractic Pediatrics.
- Active Release Technique certified in upper extremities, lower extremities, and spinal
- Kona Ironman Active Release Provider
- Graston Technique Certified
- NAET Advanced I Certified